Welcome One And All

See the world through the eyes of one who is usually a little off center, and always anxious to hear your opinions. My purpose is not to entertain you, though I hope you are entertained, it is not to make you change your views so they align with mine, again, that would be nice sometimes, but to show you that you DO NOT have to think the way you have been told to all of your lives. Everyone has opinions and views, and they do not always conform to some unwritten standard. Your opinions are as important as anyone's. It is important to "Look Behind The Curtain", it is necessary to ask the question "Why", and it is best for all of us if you learn to think for yourselves. So agree with me if you choose to, or disagree. But THINK about what is happening in our world. and use the comments to give me your opinions, good, bad or indifferent. I want to hear from you, or for you to tell me about your BLOG, or to suggest one you think I should see. Send me your stories, concerns and questions. You can email me directly if you have more than the comments will allow at: oldhippieblogger@yahoo.com.
From politics, education, social attitudes and society, to the world of the paranormal, book recomendations and other interesting BLOGS, let me know. So, welcome one and all.

Popular Posts

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Entertainment ~ Yesterday and Today

As noted many times here, I am indeed an Old Hippie, the key for this post is "Old". I am also a disabled American Vet, and that, plus Social Security constitute my income. Modest to say the least, but I get through life OK. Better than a lot of people these days. Of course, it wouldn't hurt if this BLOG were able to produce a little extra income, but since I can't seem to be able to figure out how to implement AdSense ads into it, I see little hope for that to happen. But, I do enjoy writing this. And I really enjoy reading and admittedly, I watch FAR to much TV. For the past two years, I have been renting movies through NETFLIX. No, this is not a promo piece for NETFLIX as you will see. Living here in the Ozark mountains in a community of less than 10,000 has certain limitations, like the quality and variety of restaurants, having only two places to buy groceries and movie rentals.

There is one place here to rent movies, and I mean only one, but as you might imagine, it is limited. This being in the heart of the "Bible Belt", you won't find many of the "R" rated movies on the shelf, and never will you find an "X" rated movie, neither of which bother me to any degree. But, being a small town, the rental selection is limited to the current movies and the MOST popular of older movies. Enter NETFLIX. I am able to rent movies by mail that I otherwise have no access to. Through this outlet, I have been renting some of the older movies I enjoyed in my youth, and I have to admit, I really enjoy them.

Last night I watched "Paint Your Wagon". For those of you who are younger, it is a musical set in a gold mining camp during the California Gold Rush period. It is FUNNY and fast paced, and most of you under the age of 40 would probably enjoy seeing it. Come on, give it a try. But what caught my attention was the performance of the two stars, Lee Marvin and Clint Eastwood. I had really forgotten how masterful these two men were, how truly talented they were and most surprising, how versatile they were.

When you think of Lee Marvin, you usually picture a "Silver Screen Tough Hero" type. War movies from WWII, Westerns and hard nosed crime drams. He was in so many of these that it is easy to forget that he was in this musical. Not only in it, he was spectacular! His character was usually drunk, despicable by nature and always so very funny. But he had a heart of gold. He sang, danced, and in the end, he literally destroyed the town of "No-Name", all in the quest for gold. And for you Clint Eastwood fans, watch this and see what a truly gifted actor this man is. Yes, Clint sings, dances and is great in every scene he is in. Imagine, "Dirty Harry" singing a love song! Both of these men exemplify what actors call Range, the ability to do a variety of different things, and do them well.

I'm not here to drum up customers for any particular movie rental business, but I am trying to tell you that if you enjoy movies, try looking for some of these older ones. Watching current movies is good, and I enjoy them, but sometimes I feel that there is a certain sameness to them. It is refreshing to go back and re-look at some of the really great movies from the past. And if my recommendation means anything, I suggest that you give "Paint Your Wagon" a look one night. You will be surprised. Have A Great Day.

The Old Hippie

No comments: